December 4, 2013

Christmas Unwrapped ~ Day 4


"Love's pure Light"

I'll probably have a few posts regarding the lyrics in some of my favorite Chrismas songs... due to the fact that Christmas music is pretty much playing everywhere now, and also because I feel like music has the ability to capture a person's heart more than anything else.

Christmas music is especially special of course, because we only listen to it for approximately 1/12th of the year :)

One of my all-time favorite Christmas songs is "Silent Night".  My most vivid memories of Christmas involve the midnight candlelight service that the youth put on every Christmas Eve at First Lutheran Church in Barron, Wisconsin.  And I was "the youth" in these memories!!!  And I soaked up every minute of the planning stages for this service.  

The grand finale for this unique service was always the lighting of everyone's individual candles and the singing of "Silent Night"... and the best part was that the last verse was always sung acapella.  

I remember feeling so alive during that song!!!!!  Like I knew something amazing was in the works.  I don't know what it was specifically, but whatever it was, it sticks with me to this day and probably will for the rest of my life.  

And now, since I've became a mother, the song always brings tears to my eyes, especially "holy infant, so tender and mild, sleep in heavenly peace".  It reminds me of the important fact the Jesus came into this world as a sweet little baby, and just like all babies, he needed a mommy and a daddy to take care of him!  I'll talk more about this in a later post!!!!  

Here is a link to the Sarah McLachlan version of Silent Night.. soak up every lyric :)

No comments:

Post a Comment