December 24, 2013

Christmas Unwrapped ~ Day 24

The Virgin Mary


Last year on Christmas Eve I could not stop thinking about Mary and how she must've been feeling... probably because I was 7 months pregnant myself, and anticipating bringing a new baby of my own into this world.  But what I couldn't quite grasp last year while I was thinking about Mary, who was maybe in early stages of labor today on Christmas Eve, was how it must've felt to be expecting to deliver the Son of God into this world??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean it's hard enough becoming a mommy for the first time (and second time), but my goodness, what kind of pressure must Mary have been feeling knowing that her sweet, tiny, precious little baby was going to be the All Powerful, the All Knowing, Perfect, Savior of the World?




"Mary was not chosen because of any human merit
not even for being (as she undoubtedly was) deeply devout, 
nor even for her humility or any other virtue, 
but entirely and uniquely because it is God's gracious will to love
to choose, to make great what is lowly, unremarkable, 
considered to be of little value.  
Mary the tough, devout, ordinary working man's wife, 
living in her Old Testament faith and hoping in her Redeemer
becomes the mother of God."  

-Dietrich Bonhoeffer

No comments:

Post a Comment