June 4, 2013

Les Miserables

Sorry my blog followers, no pictures of the boys in this post!  
Just some of my rambling thoughts this time...

I was watching Les Mis yesterday (for the umpteenth time), well I only get to watch parts of it at a time because I don't really have 2 hours and 38 minutes a day to just sit down and watch a movie!!!  Still, even little bits at a time, I am usually brought to tears.  And even though i've heard all the words before and have actually had them memorized since childhood, it never fails that every time I watch it, I listen to one of the lines in a different way, or hear some deeper meaning in the lyrics.  I'm just in love this with this musical and the story it tells!!!!  If anyone hasn't seen it... GO RENT IT!!!!!!!!

Yesterday these were the lines I heard in a new way, the Bishop is singing them, when he finds Jean Valjean sleeping outside in the cold and snow:

(I really wish I could put a sound clip in here 
because the words are so beautiful when they are sung!  
Well those of you who know the musical can sing them to yourself!)

"Come in sir for you are weary,
And the night is cold out there.
Though our lives are very humble,
What we have, we have to share.

There is wine here to revive you,
There is bread to make you strong.
There's a bed to rest til morning,
Rest from pain, and rest from wrong."


At some point in our lives, we will all need (or have needed) someone like the Bishop to come to our aid.  We all desire to be cared for in times of despair, and I hope I can be there for someone like this when they need nurturing the most, especially for my sons... 
because just think of what would've happened to Jean Valjean had the Bishop not let him inside and shown him what it meant to love, and maybe most importantly, taught him what it meant to forgive.  


I've always been the nurturing type (even since childhood, according to my Mom), which is why I chose nursing as a profession... but since becoming a mother I think that part of me has multiplied exponentially.

Ok that's about all the time I have right now for writing down my rambling thoughts!

Thanks for listening, and i'll leave you with one of my favorite lyrics from Les Mis:

"To love another person is to see the face of God"

1 comment:

  1. I want to add to this post! My Dad messaged me after reading this to submit HIS favorite Les Mis lyric, here it is:

    "At the end of the day you're another day older."

    :) :) :) Love you Dad! That sure is a great and truthful line! :)

    ReplyDelete